“Founded in February 2005, YouTube allows billions of people to discover, watch and share originally created videos. YouTube provides a forum for people to connect, inform and inspire others across the globe and acts as a distribution platform for original-content creators and advertisers, large and small.”
YouTube is now ubiquitous. It seems the whole planet is there, uploading around a million hours of video a day. This is the town square, common-room and billboard gone global. Cam-corders and camera phones are now common-place and YouTube is the global resource making all that content available…
Before you set up a YouTube account, you should first decide how you want to use it; there are plenty of light-hearted collections of LOL-cats, baby videos, wedding videos, sports demonstrations and general goofing-off. There are also serious portfolio’s of creative video and individuals and companies promoting their work and products. Decide what you want your ‘channel’ to be and keep your channel to a distinct, clear audience. You can always create your own channel network for different types of content.
You can set up a YouTube account from scratch Create a YouTube Account., or create one attached to an existing Google account. Customise your channel’s appearance using the settings – add a profile picture, wall paper background and colour scheme to make it individual.
- Upload a file from your computer or record a video using your phone or webcam.
- Uploading a video is simple using the YT uploader. Post-processing on the server will analyse your footage and reformat it to the right quality and format.
- Share your video publicly or use private sharing to control who can watch it.
- Also share it through your other social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter.
- You’ll want your video to be tagged, indexed and fully searchable, so for best results, complete the Settings and Info sections for your video.
- Include relevant keywords in the Tags section and select the appropriate category.
- Give the video an accurate title and description to help people discover it.
- Connect with other YT users by commenting on other user videos and reply to their comments on you.
A couple of things are worth remembering for the way they work on YouTube:
- Like: YT users can vote videos up or down with the like or unlike buttons
- View:the term usually refers to the count of views a video gets, a straight count of the number of first plays in any session. (repeat plays?) It is not a count of unique visitors.