Christine at Internet Service Providers .org let us know about this one and we’re happy to re-post.
Evidence of the power of the Internet is everywhere. From the impact of social media to the outreach programs that have changed lives around the world, there has never been a more potent tool for global influence available to the common man. You don’t have to look far to find ways to save the world with the Internet. Here’s a list of ten of them:
- Human Rights Watch – HRW provides timely information about human rights crises and developments in 90 countries around the world. You can follow them here on Twitter.
- Save the Children – Save the Children is the leading independent organization creating lasting change for children who are in need, both in the United States and around the world. Working in more than 120 different countries, this organization also delivers assistance to parents, teachers and caregivers.
- DoSomething.org – A website whose stated purpose is: “Using the power of online to get teens to do good stuff offline.” From book drives to the bully project, Do Something offers venues through which teens can impact their world positively through doing something good.
- Change.org – The impetus behind Change.org is to establish an organizing platform from which people who want to affect change in their world, whether it’s locally or globally or both, can launch a campaign.
- World Food Programme – WFP is the food aid arm of the United Nations system. Their mission is to eradicate hunger and poverty around the world, and visitors are able to donate from their website here, or join an online community.
- Ashoka – Founded in 1980, this organization is rooted by a fundamental vision to empower individuals to address societal issues, innovate for change, and develop the confidence they need to see that they have the power to do so.
- Good – What is Good? We’ll let them explain: “We are people, businesses, moms, kids, artists, organizations, policymakers, students, teachers, and engineers. All united in one simple idea, each elevated by being connected. Let’s do what works and never default to what doesn’t. Join us, and together we’ll power what works.”
- Kiva – You can literally lend a hand here. Well, some money anyway. As little as $25 to help change the world for someone in need. Leveraging the internet and a worldwide network of micro-finance institutions, Kiva lets individuals lend to help create opportunity around the world.
- Movements.org – A non-profit organization, they connect and support online activists to help them acquire the technology, media, and people to promote their missions. Grassroots activists are able to make real changes in their communities with their help.
- SocialEdge.org – A global online community that brings together social entrepreneurs and philanthropists in order to share resources, network, and motivate one another to affect change locally and globally.