Public speaking? Presentation? Nerves? master class coming up!
My advice for dealing with most common worries & fears, & building confidence.
- Thinking negative thoughts? Think positive instead – it’ll be great! You’ve prepared and they’ll like it.
- Worried you’ll fail? Research your audience, then plan, prepare and rehearse.
- Worried they just won’t like you? Remember most people are nice, & they’re here because they’re interested in what you have to say.
- Thinking of drinking? Still water only. Alcohol is not your friend.
- Churning stomach? Eat a light meal for energy, avoiding fryups, sugar and stodge.
- Racing heart? Relax shoulders, breathe from diaphragm – and start. You’ll feel better as you get into your presentation.
- Tend to look scared? Make eye contact with friendly faces, and smile. You’ll find they smile back.
- Can’t catch your breath? Breathe deeply and calmly from your diaphragm, not fast and shallow from your chest.
- Stutter, stumble and fall over your words? Warm up with tongue twisters for articulacy
- Get flustered and panicky? Stop, sip water, breathe and look at your next speaking note, then speak when you’re calm
- Tend to drop things? Only have what you really need to use, and practice for dexterity.
- Lots of ums and errs? A quiet moment is fine – allow the pause instead; it lets both you and them catch up and think.
Related: How-to: Rehearse the Team Pitch